Sunday, December 8, 2013

Oh Christmas Tree....Christmas Tree

Todd's family has always been a real tree family while I never had a real tree growing up.  I told Todd that once we had kids we could get a real tree, but if we were going to do it, we were doing it right.  We headed down to Morning Star Tree farm between Washington and Brighton to pick out our tree.  Luckily my mom went with us so she could sit with Lincoln in the car until we found the tree and could take a picture before Todd cut it down.  After quite a bit of looking we settled on a tree, Todd cut it down and we strapped it to the top of the car.

Unfortunately our great day took a turn for the worse when the strap holding down our tree came lose and the tree flew off the car on Highway 218.  Luckily it didn't hit anyone, but when Todd got back in the car without the tree I knew it had met its end and would soon become the home for some animals in the ditch along the highway.

When I called me mom to tell her she started laughing so hard she could barely breathe...while I was on the other end bawling.  That was the tree WE had picked out.  I had plans to make an ornament from the truck after Christmas and now my "big" plans were ruined!  She said she would look at Hy-Vee the next day to see if there were any decent ones left.  The next day she sent me a picture of a tree in a clay pot.  I told it looked fine and then she called to inform that it was OUR tree...the one we had cut down.  She had gone and retrieved it from the ditch for us.  She taped some greenery to the top to make it look more tree shaped and stuck it in a clay pot.  She had also went out and found us a new beautiful tree from Hy-Vee.

The original tree now sits in front of the house and the backup tree has made a nice addition to our living room.  Todd will probably kill me for posting this story because he thinks the tree flying off was his fault, which is not true...sorry honey...this was a story worth telling and one we will laugh about for years to come!

Found the Tree!

Todd cutting it down

Strapped on top nice and tight! 

Todd getting our new tree ready while the original looks on in awe...

Almost done...good thing I had my little elf to help me out!

No comments :

Post a Comment